Saturday, December 17, 2011

Every Sunday night at 10 p.m the new hit show All American Muslim appears on TLC.  Since its first premiere I have tuned in and watched the show and so far so good, I just have a few complaints about it .  Now just to give you guys a bit of background information for those who have never seen the show.  It takes place in Dearborn,  I like to refer to it as Arab central in the United States.  In the show we are introduced to different Muslim families who invite us into their homes and lives to see what it truly is to be a Muslim citizen living America.


 What I found to be disappointing in the show would be the fact that some actors gave off the impression that they didn't care about their religion and rarely followed it. Now I'm not saying they should follow it, in the end it's their own decision however the way they are approaching the subject I found to be quite wrong especially on national television. This to me didn't show the difficulties a Muslim citizen has, it only reinforced the stereotype already made by other people. On another note, the show helped the viewers see just how it is possibly to follow Islam while participating in every day events. For example the high school football team at Fordson, the boys decided to fast during their game and practice late at night when they were actually able to eat. This shows how they altered their schedules in order to play an American sport but still stay true to their religion. 
  All in all the only reason I was disappointed in the show is due to the fact that I personally don’t live exactly like some of those actors and I have a different point of vu on Islam.  I now feel as if this show has given a chance to the world to stereotype Muslims even more but in the end everyone is entitled to live their life how they please. The show does show two sides to Islam and how every one chooses to follow it living in America, and that is the only reason I will continue to watch it.


2 comments:

  1. I personally don't like this show. I saw the previews for it, and I decided I did not want to watch it. The one part of an episode that I saw was a muslim man who wanted to build a bar. That's just sad cause it shows that he doesn't really know anything about his religion if he wants to build a bar. I don't know, I might give it another go, but I'm probably not gonna like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As everyone in the world already knows, I'm the least religious Muslim you'll ever meet! But quite frankly, I still find this show very stupid, you can't just go call it "all American Muslim" and throw on bad examples of Muslims ... If I were the actors I'd ask for a name change of the show or something. I feel bad for the Muslims that actually take their religion seriously, as this show seems like a disgrace!

    ReplyDelete